The sidewalk on the North side of Sammon Avenue is temporarily closed due to City of Toronto work within the area. Please use the sidewalk on the south side of Sammon Avenue and enter/exit MGH via the main Coxwell Avenue entrance. Read more
Navigating the Research Ethics Board (REB) Process
Where does my project fit in?
Here are some questions you may wish to consider when figuring out which REB forms you need to submit for your project.
Does your study investigate:
- A falsifiable hypothesis, empirically?
- A more open-ended research question, qualitatively?
- Whether a service meets a predetermined standard?
- The extent to which a service works and doesn't work, without reference to a predetermined standard?
Are the questions you wish to ask participants of a possibly distressing nature? (ie. Asking someone about their plans for assisted dying vs. asking someone if they found a program's scholarly sessions to be an appropriate length)
- Fairly distressing
- Mildly distressing
- Not particularly distressing
- Not sure
Is your project retrospective or will it require the active collection of new data?
- New data
Does your project involve a new treatment such as a therapy, drug, device, or other change in care?
if yes to the above
Are there possible dangerous side-effects to the treatment?
Does your project involve controls and randomization?
Does your project involve vulnerable populations such as children, or older adults with dementia?
- Based on your answers, you may find that:
- Your study will require full board REB review – see TAHSN Form under REB Forms, and follow the “Full board instructions”
- Your study will require delegated REB review – see TAHSN Form under REB Forms, and follow the “Delegated instructions”
- Your project falls into the category of clinical audit; as such, it does not require REB review, but a shorter application process – see the following form: Clinical Audit or Service Evaluation Form
- Your project falls into the category of service evaluation; as such, it does not require REB review, but a shorter application process – see the following form: Clinical Audit or Service Evaluation Form.
If you have any questions, please email @email, and we would be glad to answer your questions!