The number of visitors welcome in a hospital room is best decided in agreement with the patient and the healthcare team - and in the event of a shared room, with the other patient(s). The size of the room may limit the number of family and friends who can be present at one time.
Please note that sometimes we may need to restrict visitors because of treatments or to protect the safety, privacy or rights of other patients. Please check with the healthcare team on the unit you are visiting to learn about any special guidelines for that area.
Tips for visitors
- Do not visit if you are feeling unwell, have an infection, symptoms of respiratory or flu-like illnesses, undiagnosed skin rashes, nausea, vomiting and/or diarrhea.
- Do not use the patient bathroom. Please ask staff for the location of the nearest public washroom.
- To help keep everyone safe, it is important that you wash your hands with soap and water or alcohol based hand rub before you enter and leave a
patient’s room. In some areas, alcohol based hand rub is provided at the bedside or on the overbed tables. Use this before and after touching and/or
feeding your loved one.
- Children under 12 are welcome when supervised by an adult who is not the patient.
- Family arriving between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m. must enter the hospital through the Emergency Department. You will be given a family sticker to wear during your visit.
- If permitted to bring in food for a patient, remove any uneaten or left-over portions of the food/meal brought in. Patient rooms are not equipped to
safely store or heat perishable food items.
- If you would like to bring your family dog or cat on a patient visit, please arrange this in advance with the healthcare team.
Main information centre
Volunteers at the Coxwell Lobby information desk, can help you find your way. The information desk is open from 8 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., Monday to Friday, and from noon to 8 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.