MGH’s campus transformation continues with major renovation work this spring. Patients and visitors can expect to experience noise, hallway closures and detours around the hospital. Read more about our campus transformation.
Student Volunteer Program
Thank you for interest in volunteering at the Michael Garron Hospital.
Applications for the 2023/24 Student Program is now closed. Given the high volume of applications, we are unable to follow-up with each student individually. We have limited positions available and will only contact those who meet the requirements of our Student Volunteer Program.
Requirements for joining the MGH Student Volunteer Program:
- We accept students between 14 and 19 years of age;
- Students are required to volunteer one day per week (Monday - Friday) after school from 4:30pm to 6:30pm and must be able to attend weekly from September 2023 until the end of June 2024;
- Once you have been accepted to the program, you must submit full immunization and two-step TB Skin Test documentation;
- Two favourable references returned to Volunteer Services.
Volunteer Application Process & Deadlines
Given the high volume of applications we are unable to follow-up with each student individually. We have limited positions available and will only contact those who meet the requirements of our Student Volunteer Program.
Frequently Asked Questions about Becoming an Student Volunteer.
- How do I become a volunteer in the Student Volunteer Program at MGH?
- Complete the online application form;
- Provide the names and email addresses of two people who can be contacted for a reference;
- Attend an interview, which we schedule for you;
- Complete general orientation;
- Submit full immunization and two-step TB Skin Test documentation;
- Training will be provided once accepted into the program.
- When do I volunteer and for how long?
You must be able to make a commitment of volunteering for the entire school year (September 2023 - end of June 2024), once a week (Mon-Fri) from 4:30 pm - 6:30 pm. You must volunteer on the same day each week as this provides consistency for our staff and patients.
- Can I change my placement?
- Although it is preferred that you stay in a placement for an entire year, if you are unhappy, come and talk to the Volunteer Services Coordinator. Please keep in mind that if the program is full we may not have an alternative placement for you.
- You are encouraged to give your placement at least three full weeks to get comfortable with the area before seeking a change.
- What happens if I am away?
If you are going to be away, you must notify Volunteer Services. Failure to notify us twice in a row will result in being asked to resign your position.
- I have a special skill or hobby that I want to share with MGH. Can I volunteer in this capacity?
Yes, please let us know if you can offer any enrichment to our programs.