Student Volunteer Program
Thank you for considering Michael Garron Hospital (MGH) for your donation of volunteer time. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are not actively recruiting volunteers at this time. Requirements for joining the MGH Student After-School Program:
- We accept students between 14 and 19 years of age;
- We require a commitment to volunteering from September 8, 2020 - June 30, 2021;
- Students are required to volunteer one day per week (Monday - Friday) after school from 4:30pm to 6:30pm and must be able to attend weekly;
- Consent to two-step tuberculosis testing conducted by the hospital;
- Two favourable references returned to Volunteer Services.
Volunteer Application Process & Deadlines
Given the high volume of applications we are unable to follow-up with each student individually. We have limited positions available and will only contact those applicants with two favourable references returned and whose availability matches our vacancies.
Frequently Asked Questions about Becoming an After-School Volunteer
- How do I become an after-school volunteer at MGH?
- Complete the online application form;
- Provide the names and email addresses of two people who can be contacted for a reference;
- Attend an interview, which we schedule for you;
- Complete general orientation;
- Complete two-step tuberculosis testing conducting by the hospital;
- Training will be provided once accepted into the program.
- When do I volunteer and for how long?
You must be able to make a commitment of volunteering for the entire school year. Once a week (Mon-Fri) from 4:30 pm - 6:30 pm. You must volunteer on the same day each week as this provides consistency for the staff and patients.
- Can I change my placement?
- Although it is preferred that you stay in a placement for an entire year, if you are unhappy, come and talk to the Volunteer Services Coordinator. Please keep in mind that if the program is full we may not have an alternative placement for you.
- You are encouraged to give your placement at least three full weeks to get comfortable with the area before seeking a change.
- What happens if I am away?
If you are going to be away, you must notify Volunteer Services. Failure to notify us twice in a row will result in being asked to resign your position.
- I have a special skill or hobby that I want to share with MGH. Can I volunteer in this capacity?
Yes, please let us know if you can offer any enrichment to our programs.