While COVID-19 restrictions ease across Ontario, MGH care partners and designated visitors must continue to wear a mask and show proof of vaccination when visiting a loved one. Learn more about our visitor guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.
Child & Youth Mental Health Outpatient Services
Michael Garron Hospital's outpatient services offer psychiatric consultations and evidence-based treatment options for children and youth to age 17 who have mental health conditions that are best addressed in a community hospital setting.
Primary care physicians can request an outpatient consultation to address the following mental health concerns:
- moderate to severe anxiety
- moderate to severe depression or other mood symptoms
- concerns about possible psychosis
- concerns about attention, hyperactivity and impulsivity
- to help make a clear diagnosis and provide treatment recommendations
- to review or discuss medication treatment
- to assess mental health concerns that are causing serious impairment in functioning (e.g. inability to attend school)
Other mental health concerns can be better addressed by our community mental health partners or specialized mental health clinics. These can be accessed through Help Ahead (previously Mental Health Toronto (MHTO)).
Help Ahead is a single access point for infants, children, youth up to 18 and their families in Toronto to find and get the mental health help they need efficiently and quickly.
All referrals are made by the primary care physician. Our intake process is now completed by Help Ahead.
Our experienced and dedicated outpatient team includes a crisis/urgent care worker, social worker, outpatient nurse and child and youth psychiatrists, as well as psychiatry residents and other trainees.
Referring physicians click here for information on our referral process.
Please note our referral process has changed as of August 2021.