In partnership with the Toronto Catholic District School Board, we offer an English as a Second Language (ESL) program for healthcare professionals.
The ESL program for healthcare professionals is free for Canadian citizens, refugees, landed immigrants and will be of interest to ESL learners pursuing a career or an entry-level position in healthcare.
Each week, 13.5 hours of English language instruction is provided with a focus on general medical terminology and the language of healthcare. Participants also attend three workshops on: employment advice (resume writing skills, interview etiquette, job searching skills), a hospital training session (emergency procedures, Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS), confidentiality and privacy etc.) and an optional cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and first-aid training session.
Upon completion of the program, students receive a certificate of participation (if attendance requirements are met) and have the opportunity to join the hospital volunteer program.
- Have a language assessment from a CLARS Language Assessment Centre. To book an appointment call 416-925-5462. Assessments are valid for 12 months.
- Submit proof of Landed Immigrant Status, Refugee or Citizenship in Canada.
- Have a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) range between 6-8.
- Make a 10-week commitment to the program: Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Attend 80 per cent of your classes in order to get your certificate and be considered for volunteering at MGH
To be determined
Frequently Asked Questions about the PrograM
- Who can enroll in the ESL program at Michael Garron Hospital?
Anyone whose first language is not English, and who has an interest in the healthcare field.
- Where are classes held?
ESL classes are held at:
Our Lady of Mount Carmel
270 Cheerokee Blvd
- When are classes held?
Classes are held Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays
9:30 am - 2:30 pm
- Will my participation in the program be useful as a reference for future employment?
This experience can be extremely beneficial in certain job markets. Certificates of participation will be provided upon completion of the program.
- What happens if I am away?
If you are sick, you must notify the school office. Failure to notify us for two consecutive days will result in termination from this program.