While COVID-19 restrictions ease across Ontario, MGH care partners and designated visitors must continue to wear a mask and show proof of vaccination when visiting a loved one. Learn more about our visitor guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.
X-ray is a very important diagnostic tool and one of the oldest forms of diagnostic imaging. It is used to create images of the body's internal structures. X-ray exams are performed by medical radiation technologists. X-ray is used to detect abnormalities in bones, lungs and other internal structures.
Most x-rays do not require appointments; walk-ins are accepted between 7:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday to Friday.
- Skeletal or Metastatic Surveys (appointment needed)
- Upper Gastrointestinal Exams (appointment needed)
- Arthrogram – Joint Examination (appointment needed)
- Hystersalpingogram – examination of uterus and fallopian tubes (appointment needed)
- Fluoroscopy (appointment needed)
Appointments and Referrals
We are here to support you. You may reach us at 416-469-6401 (the main DI line) from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
If you require assistance outside of regular business hours, you may choose one of the following options:
- Leave a voice mail message at 416-469-6401
- Send us an email at @email
What to expect
Please review the following instructions for X-rays.
- For all X-Ray tests and procedures: If you are pregnant
,or think you might be, please call a technologist at 416-469-6580 ext. 2346 before the test begins, as the test may have to be postponed or canceled.
- Joint Injection, Joint Aspiration, and Arthrogram:
If you are taking a blood thinner such as Plavix or Coumadin, please contact your doctor to discuss stopping those medications.
- Please arrange for transportation home - do not plan to drive yourself. Please be prepared to keep physical activity of the affected joint to a minimum on the day of the procedure.
- Hypaque enema: No preparation is required. The examination will take approximately 30 minutes.
- UGI or Upper GI Series and Barium Swallow: Please do not eat or drink for at least 8 hours before the exam. Please bring any medications that need to be taken after the exam is finished. The examination will take approximately 20 minutes.